My US Visa Experience
Hey, I am Milind, I have done my own and my spouse US Visa recently. I wish to share my experience with you. It’s a bit lengthy but I am sure it will be very helpful to those who are on the same route. Firstly, I was apprehended all the while about getting the visa as I have been denied it twice earlier a few years back. It was an official tour I had to do for my organisation but unfortunately it was not a success. That time the visa biometric and interview were both at Mumbai. This time the filing of DS-160, scheduling the appointments, flights and hotels booking at Chennai and Delhi was all done by my daughter and son-in-law from US itself. We got the biometrics at Chennai and interview at Delhi. This was required in order to get earliest slots. It was a hectic schedule and me and wife have to do a lot of travelling. Certain things you must take care of, which i will mention in the go.
Firstly, the name viz. your Surname and Given Name should be strictly as per the passport, on your DS-160 application. At the biometric centre all I needed was my passport, DS-160 confirmation page, and appointment, confirmation page which is merely the print out of the email I received. It’s better to have coloured print outs as the bar codes are correctly scanned due to clarity. I have also carried my old passport. Your finger prints are taken as well as your photo. They also ask you your name. The passport is tagged by a slip at the back cover and your DS-160 confirmation page is stamped with a seal. Keep these carefully with you as the same is required at the time of interview. The process started for us at 15.30 hrs and completed in half an hour, although, there was a big queue. We had traveled to Chennai on earlier day from our native place and stayed in Taj Club House. It was a nice stay. After the biometrics, we went to Marina beach to have some pleasure. Incidentally, I was at the same beach with my wife more than three decades back when we were just married. It made us nostalgic. We have done some mobile photography but all the way round one thought was constantly lingering in my mind “will it finally be a success?”. It seemed that it will start raining, so we have chosen to go back to the hotel. We made a mouth watering dinner there. On the next next day we moved on to Mumbai, which is my second home. We have to enjoy our Dipavali in Mumbai this time as the interview at Delhi was a week ahead. I took the opportunity to do Siddhivinayak darshan, Mahalakshmi devi darshan and Ganesh Mandir darshan at Titwala. And last but not least, there is Banjarang Bali temple just outside the Dadar East Central station. I am used to visit it every time I am in Mumbai. This is the temple i visited first i had for my organisation interview. Bowed to the Almighty to give us a favour.
Preparing for visa interview is big task. We must go prepared as it will boost your confidence during the interview. Have made two transparent plastic files, although one my relatives told me that since we are a couple, our interview will be taken together at a window. But it is always better to go prepared for any eventualities. Earlier, I have made two sets of xerox for all anticipated documents which I may be required to produce at the interview for support. I have made a net worth certificate from a chartered accountant. Essential pages of the sales deed for my houses. My own and my wife’s income tax returns of last three years, bank accounts statements etc.My retirement documents from my job, since I have retired two years back. Invitation letter from my daughter and son in law. My daughter and son-in-law’s last six months pay slips, bank account statements, visa status, employer’s letter etc. Each page was arranged in order of its probable necessity. An index was made and got printed. It contained tags e.g NWC for net worth certificate. All filings was done. My daughters, yes my younger daughter and son-in-law is also in US, and my son-in-laws have daily done a rehearsal of probable interview questions for me and wife, both in english and vernacular languages. Thanks to WhatsApp video calling. It was suggested that if we were happened to be at the same window my wife will face the questions and I would be playing the second fiddle. This was to be done in order to shadow my earlier negative experience. All these process lasted upto the day we proceeded to Delhi.
We reached Delhi and stayed at Hyatt Regency. It’s a lovely place to stay. Our interview was in the morning at 8.30 hrs and the process started sharply at 8.00 hrs. Fortunately, we were interviewed together at same window. My wife had assumed the lead role as decided. The interviewer was a lady, probably in her early forties and seemed American. At the inset, after hi, hello my wife requested for a translator. But the lady seemed to have turned a deaf ear at it, she could have thought something different, as I guessed after the interview. No harsh questions asked. Just asked what our daughter and son-in-law are doing and which are the places we wish to visit and duration of the stay. Then she turned to me and asked if I am retired and get pension which I had replied assertively. Yes, that’s all. She asked that your visas are approved. We thanked her. She thanked us. She then smiled at my wife saying that you did it well in English. Our interview process completed around 9.15 hrs and we immediately took back an auto rikshaw to the hotel. The rikshaw owner was conversant of the things around and asked whether our visa is granted. He told us that since the authority had kept our passports and not returned immediately there itself, our visa will be granted. He told us that many people literally cry if they are denied visa. He asked me extra fifty rupees from me and share the joy of the beautiful moments we were in. I agreed. We had our return journey plane in the evening while the check-out time was in the noon. We visited Akshardham Mandi there. It was not mere a darshan but also a thanks giving gesture to be mighty Lords. We received our passports with visa stamped by courier at our native place.
That’s all guys, move ahead with positive attitude. If liked my narration of the things please hit a like and subscribe for new such experiences. If you need clearly over a matter please don't hesitate to comment back. Thanks.
..
Please suggest anything you need to elaborate on
ReplyDelete