Munjya - review of the movie
Recently, I saw the above movie. It's set in the beautiful Kokan region of Maharashtra, and revolves around paranatural powers, as is evident from the name itself. All about ghostly powers or you can call Shaktiya or Takkade whichever you feel better. Why Maharashtra and specifically Kokan is the Karm Bhumi for such forces viz Munjyas, Chakvas and broadly speaking the Bhootas in general, I don't know. I was born and raised in the village Washim. Washim was not a village in the sense of civics, but was a tahsil. In the third standard I had my geography book named Aapla Akola Zilha, in which I remember our Guruji recited us the names of the tahsils in the district of Akola, namely, Akot, Akola, Balapur, Washim, Mangrul and Murtijapur. Now Washim is a district place. Whosoever from that area and with sound memory, not in dB (decibels)or GB ( Gigabytes), and had interest in studies, at least in Geography, like me, will certainly recall. In a nutshell, I want to tell you that my birth place was being such a small place, there were plenty of stories associated with Munjyas and Chakvas with each tree around. My parents always warned me not to go near this pipal tree as Munjya would capture you or that Bhabhul tree because Chakvas reside there. Chakvas and Munjyas are specific formats of Bhutas, I believe, I mean to say, people who believe Bhootas also believe there is such a type of hierarchy in the Bhootas domain. I never believed in Bhootas. Since my childhood I don't know I was ever in panic due to such things. Anyway, as you can see, such films have been made for a long time. "Nigahe* was one of the best such films I have ever seen. The eyes, especially the motion of pupils inside the eyeball, by the actress Revati were chilling. I had seen it at Jayant theatre in Chandrapur. The most exciting part to watch was at the start of the movie. Fortunately I had seen it, cause I was late at the theatre that day, but not that late. The actress was shown running, door to door, on the roads in a small village, implicitly chased by Bhootas. The whole Jayant talkies was stunned in a pin drop silence till the actress barged into a hut. A big sigh was noticeable thereafter. Big screen big entertainment. Plenty of such movies mostly by Ramsey Bandhus. However these movies repeatedly contained some ugly blood work, sudden eruption of hair on face and skin and simultaneously turning it blackish. Cracks on the walls etc which resembled the spatial arc path of ionisation in thunder bolts which never looked dreadful.
I recall there was a film named Darwaza, and there was a challenge for publicity, that if anyone can see it till the end he will be awarded with rupees so and so. As per the newspapers and gossip, many people tried, but came out in between and never reached the end. One who reached the end was found dead. Ooh my God!Nobody knows what was the cause of death. Let it be that, but coming to our film, it starts around a primary school aged brother and sister. The boy wishes to marry a neighbourhood girl and he comes to know that if a "Narbali" viz human sacrifice is offered to some deity resident ( I mean 'normally resident of') a banyan tree viz.vat vrukshya his desires would be full filled.
Generally, such Munjyas etc are more comfortable with pipal trees, which I heard from some people.The boy had already got his Maunj ceremony performed earlier. It is this thread ceremony which is supposed to be a precursor for Munjyas to trigger. He, the boy, takes her to the banyan tree and attempts to kill her for the sake of Narbali, but in the process gets killed himself, and the girl escapes. No no no no... I am not telling you the plot. Relax!. Then the spotlight moves on to the real hero of the story (Abhay). He is the grandson of the escaped girl. But he used to get the glimpses of the banyan tree intermittently in Mumbai where he is residing with his mother and grandma. In other words he is captured by the Munjya.Sounds interesting ! Doesn't it? The Munjyas can do time travel and also space travel. Look here it has captured the third generation. Not only that, the hero's mother, Jassy jaissy koe nahi, Mona Singh, happens to be a Punjaban married to a Kokani Marathi manus. But the latter has also been captured by the Munjya to death. Then there is a series of dreadful(?), comedy and suspense events with a few songs and dance numbers. The film has so many characters and their relationships. I was bored in-between and couldn't trace the links facing null pointer exception. Not familiar with it, just do some kidding with "Pointers" in C programming. The best remedy available for me in such situations is to ask my wife. She is quite interested in such subjects and so was watching the movie frame by frame. At first she was happy helping me around but soon she got irritated. "एकतर लक्ष देऊन पहा, नाहीतर जाऊन झोपा. मला उगीच डिस्टर्ब करू नका!" (Either you watch it carefully or go to bed and sleep, don't disturb me"). I never feared Bhutas but i do swear I am always afraid of her. Sorry, I detoured, but let us come to the main storyline again. The Munjya captured many characters including the grandma and she got killed. Some were taken to the hospitals. In such movies the doctors are taken to the task. The whole of modern medical science just beats around. The doctors, looking at the symptoms of the captured patients (?) described using big jargon, viz name of disease in neuro science.Guessing Schizophrenia or Alzheimer's, then, you are too poor student of WhatsApp University. It was something more strange than that All of that was beyond description and must be watched on screen. The story or the movie cannot be classed as a horror, a suspense or a comedy film. An attempt has been made to make it entertaining by one way or another. A Haldiram mix. Lastly, there starts the endgame, to check mate the Munjya. But if you dare to watch, then at the end there is a catch. So go for it! But don't say I didn't warn you!
Comments
Post a Comment